Safer Schools Officer
PC 222VW Hirsh
I am the Safer Schools Officer at Harris Academy Morden and have been here for 3 years out of my 16 year police career. I am often asked by students, parents and visitors why I am here and I hope the following goes some way to answering that.
My role is largely focused on helping to keep the Academy, its pupils, staff and visitors safe. This includes monitoring students arriving and leaving the site, providing a presence at the bus stops in the vicinity of the school, dealing with road safety and behaviour issues outside of the Academy.
Aside from that I have numerous functions within the Academy including assisting other staff in investigating incidents, dealing with truancy, being on call, doing break and lunch duty, being part of the child protection team and assisting with school trips and the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
I try to represent the Metropolitan Police Service in the best way possible, by building positive, firm but fair relationships with students. Students should feel free to approach me at any time should they wish to, for support or advice.
I can be contacted through the main switchboard number 0208 6871154.
What is the ‘Safer Schools Partnership’?
All schools involved in an SSP initiative have a police officer based in their school. The school-based officer works with school staff and other local agencies to:
- reduce victimisation, criminality and anti-social behaviour within the school and its community
- work with schools on whole-school approaches to behaviour and discipline
- identify and work with children and young people at risk of becoming victims or offenders
- ensure the full-time education of young people, (a proven preventative factor in keeping young people away from crime)
- support vulnerable children and young people through periods of transition, such as the move from primary to secondary school and as victims of crime
- create and maintain a safe environment for children to learn in
The partnership isn’t merely about providing a policing presence within a school. All involved partners must work together in achieving aims and outcomes, through agreed protocols and strategies.