Choosing options is a very important time in your child’s academic career - a choice has to be made about the subjects they are to study throughout Years 9, 10 and 11. Our Key Stage 4 offer now covers three years to give each student the best opportunity to prepare for their GCSE exams.
We are committed to providing a curriculum that will:
- Meet individual needs and aspirations
- Be broad, challenging and motivating
- Offer participation in learning to 19 years of age
- Prepare students for a positive role in the future
Many GCSE subjects require Controlled Assessments (CA) to be carried out at regular intervals. BTEC students should be aware that failure to submit CA Coursework could lead to disqualification from a course and prevent a grade being awarded in that subject. The Academy publishes a detailed summary showing CA coursework deadlines, Controlled Assessment dates and examination requirements during Year 10 and Year 11. We ask parents to assist us by ensuring that students keep to deadlines and that the work they do truly reflects their ability at all times.
At the time of selection we ask you to consider:
- Some students say that they like a subject when they are really motivated by a belief that it will not involve much work. However, your child will have to work hard in all subjects to get good qualifications.
- Some choose a subject to stay in the same class with friends. As timetabling is complex, your child might be split from a friend for a particular subject and it is not a good reason to choose a subject.
- A mistake students make is that they choose the subject because they like the teacher. Timetabling and the possibility of staff changes may place them with a different teacher. Students should be confident that they will enjoy the subject no matter who teaches it.
During the selection process every student will have a chance to discuss their option choices with their tutor or their Faculty Director. Subjects often have limited class sizes so a ‘first come, first served’ system operates, so please encourage your child to return their reply slip promptly. If you have any questions or require any further information please do not hesitate to contact your child’s Faculty Director.